Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Impromptu half marathon and a deep reflection

Well, didn't think I was going to write any half recaps before April 26th! But, I got a promotional email for Whispering Woods half marathon on April 1st. I don't know if I was feeling a little low and needed something else to focus on... but I decided to sign up. The only problem was that it was scheduled for the same weekend.

Some thoughts on the race:
- Cheap(ish), if you sign early enough (I didn't, so doesn't apply to my case), small race, packet up, parking etc are a breeze.
- if you live in the Greater Memphis area, you are not exactly spoilt for choice when it comes to half marathons, so it is a race that you can drive to.
- there were enough water stations and definitely one (maybe, two) ClifShot stations though there were a couple of water stations that were kind of trying to provide to both the "out" and "back" runners and the volunteers had to keep running back and forth. It was weird.
- the course was super boring (not that I had an opinion at the time.... tell you why in my Impromptu half marathon - 2 post!), through some business centers, construction zones and the like. In addition, it measured 13.03 miles.
- for such a tiny race, I thought the race director was a little unhelpful. I got no reply for an email I sent her.
- the medal is very plain and the technical shirt is not of very good quality. I think I got spoilt by the very first shirt I ever got in 2012 for a 5k. It was a Brooks shirt. So, yeah. Impress me now.

How I did, what I did:
I didn't exactly do much training with a focus on increased speed (what I think is a tempo run, once a week) and the longest I had run after my half marathon was seven miles. So, I just wanted to finish and not do much worse than my first. I started out slow and was hitting an average of 11:30s-20s. As I knew from all my long runs, the third mile was the slowest. Luckily it was a chilly day and I had my phone (read: RunKeeper app) with me. Around mile 4, I kind of felt stupid. I am rambling along, not really breaking a sweat and "saving" my energy for.... what exactly?! I ramped up (for me, that is) and maintained a speed in the 10:xxs, finishing with 2:20:56. Totally unexpected and I was not really whipped!

A deep, deep reflection:
Making up 3-5 seconds >>>>>>> Losing 3-5 seconds >>>>> Gatorade up nose
I am never running again while trying to drink Gatorade.

No comments:

Post a Comment